Peter's "Sleepover"

Sleep is a big issue for children (and parents) dealing with autism. Peter seems to have problems in this area more so than Nathan (although Nathan does too-- it's just not as bad).

Last night, Peter wouldn't go to sleep. He refused to take a nap earlier in the day so I knew he was exhausted. Daddy went up twice to get him to go back to sleep and the third time out of the bed, I went up. I asked Peter what was wrong and, clear as day, he said "I want to sleep with Gabrielle." So I moved him into Gabrielle's room and let him get in bed with her but because it was different (and, of course, a majority of children with autism seem to have problems with change in routine) he again was having a hard time falling to sleep. And, of course, Gabrielle wanted him to stay because she hates the idea of sleeping by herself. We were quickly approaching midnight at this point and I was getting frustrated that he didn't want to leave Gabrielle but he wouldn't stay in bed with her either.

So Plan C was to move the mattress from the toddler bed into Gabrielle's room and put it on the floor next to her bed and put Peter, his pillow, big Mickey Mouse and one of his stuffed dogs in it. I laid down with Peter for maybe ten minutes and both he and Gabrielle were sound asleep when I sneaked out.

I'm a little nervous that he's going to want this arrangement again tonight. I don't know how this is going to work if he continues to want this up through school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peter's 3D CT Scan

Moving to WordPress