More Potty Training and Staying Positive

Peter actually told me he had to go "potty" today. Again, this is a big deal-- so far I've had to ask him, he hasn't initiated anything. We're making progress but this is often how Peter does things. Once he achieves a level of confidence in something he doesn't look back.

We are very fortunate that he doesn't regress or hasn't shown any tendency to do so. Our biggest struggle so far (and there have been many) seems to be with his allergies. He has the stereotypical autistic look (frail upper body, often dark circles under the eyes, etc.) and the wretched laundry list of allergies. So far, Peter is allergic to soy, beef, potatoes, birch, oak, walnut, grass, dustmites, cats, dogs and. . . I'm forgetting something.

Nathan tried to say "fish" again yesterday and if you haven't already guessed, we have a fish and two cats -- and yeah, I know, with Peter's allergies, etc., but the cats are getting old so we won't be replacing them when they go.

I know it is hard to stay positive but I can say this-- a positive attitude helps you more than anyone else. I have to look at what the boys are doing not at what they aren't doing. I have to think about what they will be able to achieve even with autism. And yes, I want to know why this happened but I think we will find that even when (and I say "when" because I think it will happen one day) we find out the whys, it may not lead to a "cure" for our own children. We may only get an explanation that could help others.

I try to remain positive because I can already see how the past year has aged my face more than the past ten years. I try to remain positive because I can't wallow in self-pity. We have only a few short years to try to modify our children's behavior significantly and as much as possible. I can't waste this time feeling sorry for myself. If Peter and Nathan are still very noticiably autistic when they are teenagers I may cave in then but I have to allow myself hope (even when I'm terrified of doing so). Hope breeds hope and it is the emotion I draw on the most to get me through each day and each week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peter's 3D CT Scan

Moving to WordPress