Our Daughter Lives Here Too!

Just in case you didn't notice it in my bio, my husband and I have an eight-year-old daughter. It often seems like siblings get left out when you are dealing with one autistic child but two--whew! We have to make an extra effort to notice her achievements and praise her for things she has accomplished.

She is currently completing her requirements to get her red belt (decided) in Tae Kwon Do. After that, she'll test for her "pre" black and begin training with the black belts. She'll test for her black belt when her instructor feels she is ready but it's usually anywhere from six months to a year.

Gabs began taking TKD when she was 4. We enrolled her because we were scared to death she would walk off in the mall (which she did do) or walk up to a complete stranger and begin a conversation like they were her best friend (which she also did). It was stressful to shop with her because I couldn't really look at the merchandise in my hand--I was too distracted trying to keep an eye on her! I don't know how many times I found myself holding an item that I didn't like yet couldn't remember picking it or even truly seeing it for several minutes.

Of course after Peter and Nathan's diagnosis, the developmental pediatrician (who did not meet Gabrielle) made a comment in passing about Gabrielle likely having mild Asperger's. When she did Peter's evaluation, she had asked about Gabrielle's development and then as we talked, she began asking very pointed questions such as "do you feel that she is often emotionally immature but seems to grasp concepts that seem beyond her years" to which we would laugh and say "oh, yeah, you've pegged her." I thought the doctor was thinking ADHD-- Gabrielle is certainly very "busy" and always has been-- but at Nathan's diagnosis the doctor offhandedly said something about Gabrielle having mild Asperger's. You can imagine my shock. I realize that this was not a true diagnosis (it helps to have the patient present) but it has given me insight into Gabrielle's behavior (such as trying to be pals with perfect strangers or her obsession over tornadoes) that I have gotten frustrated with before. Now I try to redirect Gabrielle and help her use her intelligence to overcome her fears or to establish goals.

Is it Asperger's? I don't know. But if it is, she's grown past the worst of it and this gives me hope. As the boys' brains mature, they may "outgrow" a good portion of their autism as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peter's 3D CT Scan

Moving to WordPress